Thursday, June 5, 2008

Writing a pattern


So I've been working on my own creation of the vintage bonnet. I've been trying to figure out sizing, because most patterns are written with fewer or more stitches to change sizes. Well, since I'm starting from scratch, I have to come up with it. I finally think I have the right hook. The bonnet I'm working on is about a size 3-6 month which is a perfect base for sizing newborn, 0-3 mo, 3-6 mo, and 1 year. It's right in the middle so I can take away or add as much as I need.

I love this style of crochet. It's very classy, and makes delicate yet sturdy pieces that stand the test of time as evidenced by the other bonnet. 

Here's a couple of pics of my sizing procedure.  The bonnet's not finished yet. It still needs the ruffled border, and it hasn't been blocked. As you can see, she's at the edge of growing out of it, but she's 6 months, so it's perfect for this trial. Well, back to work!

 

No comments: