Wednesday, August 6, 2008
I was in the process of knitting up another top hat when I had the inspiration to try using the wire I have in stock instead. I've made several masks using wire in previous months, and they all came out beautifully. Why I hadn't thought of using it before now, I'm not sure. But when inspiration knocks, I never say no.
I started with the wire frame shape of the hat I wanted. Basically, it's a stylized mini version of a top hat. From there, I twisted and looped it so that it would give the hat body and substance. I worked on it for two days until I got to this part. Now, I need to go to the store and purchase various knick-knacks to adore the brim with. I was thinking some ribbon and some feathers. Possibly, a flower if I find one that I like. We will see what's available.
I wish I knew how to sew these beauties. There's a woman I found that makes them the way I want to at Gypsy Junk Knits. I adore them tremendously and wish I knew how to make them for myself. But alas, I can find no tutorials and will have to figure it out for myself. I've read some craft blogs that use buckram for the base. Unfortunately, living in a small town has eliminated that. So my next alternative if stiff felt that I can find. Lord knows I have enough wire around here. So now, once I gather the materials, I will try my hand at it. Wish me luck!