Friday, June 19, 2009

Bottle Cap Hot Pad Pattern


Beer Cap Hot Pad
by Dawn L.E. Riden




I originally made several of these for a vintage crochet potholder swap. They were such a huge hit, I decided to write down the pattern to share with everyone.


SIZE
6.5 inches across

MATERIALS
Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet (Size 10); need approximately 75 yards
Size 9/1.40MM crochet hook
19 beer caps of your choice
Sewing needle

GAUGE
24 dc/12 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch

PATTERN NOTES
Ch = Chain
Dc = Double Crochet
Sc = Single Crochet
Sc Dec = Single Crochet Decrease (Insert hook in first stitch indicated, yo, pull up loop, insert hook in second stitch indicated, yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through remaining 3 loops on hook.)
Sl St = Slip Stitch


PATTERN
Cap Cover

Ch 5, slst to first stitch to join.
Ch 3, 15 dc in ring, slst to join at top of ch 3. Make sure to dc over the tail of the chain to hide it. (16 dc)
Ch 2, sc in same st, *1 sc the next three sts, 2 sc in next st*, repeat between * two more times, sc 3, slst with top of Beg ch to join (20 sts)
Ch 2, sc in every st around, slst with top of Beg ch to join. (20 sts)
Ch 3, dc in every st around, slst with top of Beg ch to join. (20 sts)
Insert bottle cap before decreasing. 
Sc Dec around, slst with top of Beg ch to join (10 sts)
Sc dec around, slst with top of Beg ch to join (5 sts)
Break thread and weave through remaining 5 loops, tie closed and weave in ends.

FINISHING

Using scrap crochet cotton, sew 6 cover caps around one central cap on the underneath side where they touch. Then join 12 covered caps around the six. You can mix and match color however you like, so use you imagination!


ABOUT THE DESIGNER
Dawn is an energetic doting mother of 3, loving wife of 1, and friend to many. She enjoys creating unique designs using wire, yarn, and fabrics. To learn more about her and her inspiration, check her out on her blog at: www.dawningdreamsblog.blogspot.com
You can also support her habit by checking out her online store at:
www.dawningdreams.etsy.com



Copyright 2009. Dawn L.E. Riden. hese patterns are for personal and non-profit use only. You may not sell items made from these patterns. You may make them for yourself, as gifts, or for donation to charity sales or auctions. And these patterns love being used for knitalongs or other organized knitting events that are free of charge.

Merchants may not download or print these patterns for sale, free distribution, or class use without prior written permission from the author. If you received one of these patterns directly from a yarn store, or are taking a paid class using one of these patterns, please verify that the store has written permission from the author.
Printing or downloading a pattern constitutes agreement with these terms.

33 comments:

Lolly said...

Wow! These bring back precious memories of my Grandmother's dining room table! She had several of these and I have no idea where they are today.
Thank you soo much for sharing!

Sara lechner said...

I am so enthusiastic with this pattern that I had to try it right away. These are the nice things: small project, recycling and a wonderful idea behind it! I post in my blog my result so far and give you the credits with a link to your site! thank you for sharing this great idea!

MaryAnn said...

What a cool idea! I will have to do some of these.

Art4Sol said...

I think I will try this pattern on mirror circles I have. Thanks!

Kythcat said...

I love the look of this, but have one stupid question- What is a beer cap?

Dawning Dreams said...

Beer caps is the same as bottle caps. Here in the US, I can only find the caps on beer, so that's what I named it. Don't worry, you're not the first to ask. : )

Gabriela said...

Hi! Just a month ago my mother suddenly remember doing this a long time ago! 2 days letter I received Sara's blog update talking about it!So I am woking on it now..hope to have a picture this weekend!Thanks for bringing back some great memories

Anonymous said...

I too remember these from my grandmother, but since she was a T-totaler I guess she used cola caps...
I have two friends who own bars and I am going to get them to bring me their caps...Will post pictures when completed.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane...just goes to prove every thing old is new again. ttfn...sue

pinkyfrogshop said...

Love this so much. Really cool idea to try.

Anonymous said...

On round two it say sc 3, 2 sc in next stitch. What does the sc 3 mean? Or is it a typo? I know a lady in Ohio who makes these in the shape of a grape cluster. Very cute. Thanks. Lavannia

Dawning Dreams said...

"sc 3, 2 sc in next stitch" means single chain in the next 3 stitches, then do two single chains in the fourth stitch. This is the increase row. I hope this helps. : )

LittleRed said...

I love these! They also remind me of my grandmother's house. She copied a pattern from a neighbour friend back in the 1940's (i'm guessing) The pattern was for a bunch of grapes and they were so pretty they hung on her wall in the dining room since my mother was little. She covered the bottle caps with the silver paper from cigarette packages before covering with the crocheted caps. Nice to see that craft again:)

Anonymous said...

My grandmother also made these, there is no way you can have the copyright to them. I searched for this project online because I wanted to replicate the pot holders she made.

Dawning Dreams said...

While the idea is not original, having come up with my own way to cover them, arrange them, and present them is, and therefor possible for me to copyright. The end result might look very similar, but my construction is straight from my head, not a stitch pattern or book.

You may look up Copyright info at http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to give this a try! Dumb question: when/how do you put the bottle cap into the cover?

Dawning Dreams said...

I usually wait until after the first decrease. Getting the hook around the cap can be tricky, so waiting until the end was easier for me. Thanks for the comment! I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for this pattern to become available...never
thought to Google it, but I have crocheted it 3 times and it's just too darned big! I need a crochet hook size. I don't know what 9/1.40MM crochet hook is. Can anyone help me?
Pam

Dawning Dreams said...

The US 9/1.4 mm crochet hook is a steel crochet hook you can buy online or at most retailers. Check out http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/070330.html and you can get one there. It's very small, so maybe that's why yours are turning out so big. I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to make this but we don't have that particular type yarn sold where I live. Also, what is a size 10 yarn? Will Red Heart Classic Yarn (100% acrylic) be okay?

Dawning Dreams said...

Unfortunately the Red Heart will not work because it's made of acrylic which is a plastic and will melt if you put anything hot on it, and it's a worsted weight. Wool and cotton are the best with the heat.

You're going to need something much finer weight such as other crochet threads, lace, or at heaviest a fingering/sock yarn. If you can't find those, you can use embroidery floss in a pinch.

Best bet id to look online for supplies if they aren't available in your area.

Creative Origins said...

These are just gorgeous! I really love the colors, they really look great.

Check out what I do with bottle caps, drop over to my blog.

Anonymous said...

I have made several of these and everyone wants them. Have given most of them away, but have a question. My Aunt used to make these in shapes like grape clusters, or strawberries, any patterns like this available?? I absolutely love making them.

Dawning Dreams said...

I can't find a free version, but it wouldn't be hard to "wing it". Cover several in purple then make a couple of leaves. There's a free leaf pattern at http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa070399.htm that would work perfectly. I haven't seen a strawberry before. Sounds like it would be neat though!

Amy said...

Very nice, thank you for sharing,Amy

Anonymous said...

thank you for typing this up! i love it so so much. i've made a hot pad by covering bottlecaps with yo-yo's years ago...before i began crocheting. i cant wait to try this. ive got just the skinny cotton yarn! xoxo
ps. do you mind if i made some to sell at local fairs?
love,angelina

Anonymous said...

The *sc3,2sc in next st* is still confusing. You replied that it meant "single chain" in the next 3 st and "single chain" twice in the 4th st. Do you mean single crochet when you say single chain?

Dawning Dreams said...

Yes, I mean single crochet in the next three stitches and then make two single crochet stitches in the fourth stitch. You would be increasing four stitches to five stitches making the circle wider to cover the cap.

pkaysa said...

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern. I remember having these on our table when I was young and I always loved them. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Are you not using the lydias classic crochet to sew together? Im a little confused how to sew these together. Please help. Thank you so much

Dawning Dreams said...

I do use the crochet cotton to put them together. You can thread,them onto a needle or if you have experience with using the hook, you can use it as well to join them.

Anonymous said...

My mother just gave me one that my grandmother had made. When I looked at it closely I noticed that the bottle caps had thin cork glued under the caps to help distribute heat. I had no idea how to make the actual circles. Glad you posted the pattern. On to collecting bottle caps!

Unknown said...

Back then, (when your Grandmother made these) The cork wasn't glued in the cap to distribute heat. When bottling beverages back then, they used cork on the caps for the sealing process. Not done today anymore. Just thought you might be interested in knowing that. I`m amazed how times have changed since I was a kid.

Carol Candy said...

Nice DIY making.