Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Circumvenio Bracelet



From the latin word meaning "to come around", this bracelet was a beginning of a journey into the world of rings. From scrapes of stainless steel rings to fantastic bracelets!

My husband and I make our own chainmaille rings for various projects. Unfortunately, not all rings are the same, and we have a discarded or "dead" pile of rings that have accumulated over time. I cannot stand to see anything go to waste. So was born the Circumvenio bracelet!

Finished Size: 9 inches around

Materials:
Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread
Size D/3.25 mm crochet hook
5/8" steel ring (you could also try the little plastic ones sold at the store)

Pattern:
Starting with a closed ring, hook and pull yarn through center of ring, YO, pull through loop. (Now, yarn is attached to ring.)
Sc half way around the ring.
Add second ring by inserting hook through ring, YO, pull through center of ring, YO, and pull through both loops.
Sc half way around ring again.
Continue adding rings until you get to a length that will fit around your wrist.

The yarn will give some wiggle room when you close the circle, but make sure it's snug enough to still stay on.
When you get the bracelet to the desired length, connect the first ring to the last using the previous method.

Finish the other half of the bracelet by sc the other half and joining to the next ring, thus reinforcing the joins.

When you reach the end, break yarn, and weave in ends, and "Presto!".

Copyright 2008. Dawn L. E. Riden. All rights reserved. For personal use only. Not for Commercial sale.

7 comments:

Soulknitting said...

I LOVED this bracelet and idea!! Thanks for sharing. I plan on making one....out of rings I haven't found yet, but I will!! Great idea.

The Apron Queen said...

Now THAT is the craftiest idea I've seen in awhile. I bet nothing goes to waste at your house! :)

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen

mum said...

a novel idea to make a bracelet.

Lisa said...

Hi--I know this is an old post for you, but hopefully comments get emailed to you. I was wondering how you get this bracelet on? There is no clasp--does it just slip on?

Dawning Dreams said...

The crochet thread acts like elastic once it's done. You should make it slightly smaller than than your hand width at your thumb, so that it can snugly slide over your thumb, but catch when you let it dangle.

Jennifer Reichard said...

Now I know what to do with my not so perfect chainmaille rings. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I used the plastic rings that hold the straps which I cut out from old bras.