Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fiber Christmas in July Festival





I had the pleasure of attending the Fiber Christmas in July Festival in Kellyville, OK! My Mil picked me up and we headed out together Saturday and arrived at the Fairgrounds around 12:30. Since it was only the second time they have had it, it wasn't very large, but about what I expected. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was all the spinning wheels everywhere! So salivating, I started walking around the booths. The first booth was manned by two delightful women selling roving and spinning material. They were very helpful in deciding what to buy without being pushy or know-it-all. You can find some of their stash at Weavery at Indian Meridian.


Then we looked around at the other booths. We found the woman who raises Alpacas in Oklahoma that we had seen at L&B Yarn Co last year who was selling more roving and yarn. She had more variety this year that was fun to see. I believe her website is Kindred Spirits.

There were also many non yarn booths which included baskets and odds and ends that were very interesting. We happened by the above doll at on of those booths. He reminded me of Carrot Top in a tuxedo. I also ran into Dark Twist from whom I purchased my Top Hat pattern from. Though I didn't realize it was her until I got home. It's always fun to meet the person behind the online persona.


And by the end of the day, a woman at one booth informed us of a spinning wheel that was for sell at a great price! I was so excited, but tried not to get my hopes too high. Naturally, one of the wooden beauties would be the epitome of a spinners dream, but I just wanted something to start with. So we got me a spinning wheel for $110 dollars plus some bobbins! I know it's not the prettiest thing, but I hope to rectify that by painting it. I tried spinning some when I got how and did fairly well considering I had never touched a spinning wheel in my life!

So our haul in the end was 6 skeins of yarn, 4 different types of roving to experiment with, a great spinning wheel, and a Niddy Noddy. But most of all, I had a great time meeting people, talking, and hanging out with my Mil.

No comments: